OUTLINE: SESSION THREE
THE GARMENTS OF THE SOUL
MAN’S BODIES OF MANIFESTATION
I. Man has four bodies of manifestation in the physical world.
– There is the dense physical body, the astral body, the mental body, and the etheric body.
– Each serves a different purpose.
– Each has a definite effect on our life and our spiritual development.
– Each of the bodies is linked to a different plane or world.
II. The physical body allows humanity to function on the physical plane.
– It enables us to interact with the material reality that surrounds us.
– From a spiritual point of view, it is the glandular, circulatory and nervous system of the body that are of importance.
– These systems serve as the conduits for the transmission of the higher energies into the body.
III. The astral body is a corresponding body that is made up of all our desires and emotions.
– Each astral body has its own particular coloring, which is indicative of the individual’s emotional state.
– This is called the astral aura.
– The astral body is our vehicle of ascension onto higher planes.
IV. The mind is what we refer to as our mental body.
– The mind is the body of the intellect.
– Our mental body determines the nature of our mental constructs, and our capacity to make contact with the higher mind of the soul.
V. Chalukah derabanan – the Garment of the Soul
– In Judaism, the combined emotional and mental body is called the garment of the soul (literally: the garment of the rabbis or teachers).
– The Zohar teaches that the soul possesses both higher and lower garments.
– The lower garments are made from the individual’s fulfillment of the commandments – his actions, and the higher garments are made from his spiritual yearning and the kavanah (intention) in his heart.
VI. The etheric body is a body composed of spiritual centers or sephirot.
– It is called in the Kabbalah, the Etz haChayim, the Tree of Life.
– Our body of spiritual centers determines the quality of energy that we can take in and give out from our body.
– It also determines our state of consciousness.
VII. The ruach also has its own separate sheath or body that exists on the mental plane.
– The body of the individual soul is called the tselem (image).
– It is this body which enables the individual soul to progress from incarnation to incarnation, moving from one personality in physical form to another, as it continues on its evolutionary journey.