THE CENTERS: AN ELABORATION
This week, we began taking an in-depth look at each of the sephirot or spiritual centers. In this session, we explored the three lower centers of malchut, yesod and netzach/hod.
THE CENTER AT THE BASE OF THE SPINE
MALCHUT – KINGSHIP
The first of the major centers is the center at the base of the spine, malchut, kingship.
I. Malchut is the earth pole of the sephirot.
II. Malchut is the seat of the kundalini or Shechinah energy.
III. Malchut embodies the female or mother aspect of deity.
IV. Malchut is aligned with the crown center, keter.
THE SACRAL CENTER
YESOD – FOUNDATION
The next center is yesod (foundation), the sacral or genital center.
I. Yesod is the foundation of all life. It is the focus of the physical creative process.
The power of yesod joins two opposites together.
II. Another aspect of this center is the energy of order or relationship.
– Yesod is the cohesive force that binds spirit and matter together to create a living entity.
III. During the evolutionary process, the energy of yesod is shifted to the throat center – the sephirah of higher creativity.
– When the sephirah of yesod is brought to its highest fulfillment, the full creative power of the human mind will be awakened.
THE SOLAR PLEXUS CENTER
NETZACH/HOD – ETERNITY/SPLENDOR
The solar plexus, netzach/hod (eternity/splendor), is designated as the third center in the seven center framework.
I. It is the center of emotions.
II. The solar plexus is the gathering point for the energies of the centers below the diaphragm.
III. The sephirah of netzach/hod is the clearinghouse for our negative feelings and glamorous illusions.
IV. As the energy of our solar plexus center develops, the quality of our emotions and desires change and evolve. Gradually, the focus of our consciousness begins to shift from the solar plexus to the heart center.
V. This center enacts an important role in the inner life of all spiritual seekers.
– Netzach/Hod is the sephirah where the psychic energy is most powerfully stimulated.
– In its role as a spiritual doorway, the psychic also introduces certain dangers.
– Anyone engaged in meditation and the development of the inner life needs to be overseen by a spiritual mentor or teacher.
– Many of the great spiritual masters have left us with clear instructions about how to distinguish between higher spiritual contacts and lower psychic phenomena.
– The best defense against spiritual problems, the Baal Shem tells us, is a dedicated life of purity and holiness.